This week I’ve been on a Fashion Communication and Promotion course at Parsons The New School in New York City. It was part of a Dual City experience, so the second part of the course will be held at Central St Martins in London. I have had an absolutely unforgettable time, and a huge bank of fashion, PR, social media and branding knowledge that’s been passed onto me by numerous industry experts and international students, and the ‘PR Professor’ Tom Handley himself! Follow me on instagram @urbanity_blog for some insider snaps 🙂
- Arrived amidst a huge rainstorm; not ideal considering all I packed was a summer wardrobe!
- Travelled by subway from JFK airport to Pod 51 Hotel, a fab mini boutique experience!
- Visited Times Square, Rockerfellar centre and the Empire State- gotta be on everyone’s bucket lists!
- Ate some fabulous food at Treehaus and Ippudo (I officially fell in love with the food over here!)
- Did the NYC essential: SHOPPING! My favourite stores were J.Crew, American Apparel, Anthropologie and Search & Destroy.
- First day of the course at Parsons! An early wake-up from my apartment by Stuveysant Park and straight to class in the cool east village and soho.
- The guest speaker was Ariel Foxman, Editor in Chief of Instyle Magazine– certainly set the bar high!
- Hearing first-hand experience from founders of companies like Greatsbrand and The Lead was like a VIP backstage pass into navigating the fashion industry as a young person.
- Feeling overwhelmed and a little stressed by the concrete jungle, I did a hot yoga class at Three Jewels.
- This was by far my favourite class of the week- guest speakers included Adam Gallagher , Socialyte, Kenwerks, GQ and Sum Company.
- I stayed up late in the student lounge completing my Pecha Kucha project on career pathways, fuelled by super strong coffee from NYC’s top fashion hangout, Joe’s.
- The students (who by the way, were from 10 different countries!) presented their work, then we celebrated the end of a fantastic week with Tom at fabulous Italian restaurant Zio.
- That evening I visited the MoMA (museum of modern art) as each Friday night they have a free entry event. I was absolutely blown away by masterpiece after masterpiece!
- The weather sucked today so I went to the local movie theatre and saw Jurassic World, which was INSANE!
- I quickly ticked the final few sights off my bucket list- Madison Avenue, Central Park and Washington Square.
- And now I’m blogging and catching up on social media at JFK airport waiting to fly back to London! See you all there 🙂 #dualcity
Ruth @ Urbanity xxx